Without being able to travel, or in some cases still confined at home, Facebook insists on reminding us of what we did or visited x years ago. In many cases it will make us feel nostalgic, for what perhaps we did not fully enjoy, without knowing that some of those moments would become, today, difficult to repeat.
Today it reminds us that 5 years ago we were in one of the best-known places in the world: Machu Picchu. This reminder has made me recall other magical/mysterious/special places that we visited. Places that marked us, and that still move something within us when we remember them or visit them again.
We left here our list, in no specific order, of 10 special places that touched something on us and managed to be fixed in our memory. And expecting that when things get back to “normal”, we can continue adding experiences to our life:
- Machu Picchu (Peru)
- Hypogeum of Hal Saflieni (Paola, Malta)
- Dawn in the city of Petra (Jordan)
- Wieliczka Salt Mine (Poland)
- Tombs of the Kings (Paphos, Cyprus)
- Mijayima Island and its routes (Japan)
- Ancient city of Ayutthaya (Thailand)
- Auschwitz / Birkenau Camp (Poland)
- Lost city of Tikal (Guatemala)
- …and to end the solitude of Iceland’s landscapes
What were your special places?